domingo, 13 de abril de 2008

Cristiano Ronaldo lands fan in hospital after breaking wrist with shot


Ronaldo's supershot breaks a fan's arm

Hotshot footballer Cristiano Ronaldo let fly with a volley so hard he broke the wrist of a fan in the stands.

The Man United star - currently in talks over a new £150,000-a-week contract - landed unlucky Fred Harrison in hospital after accidentally smashing the ball straight at him.

And Fred, who was trying to protect his face and glasses from the mishit, reckons he had a lucky escape. He revealed: "If he had hit me in the face he would have knocked me out."

The 68-year-old Middlesbrough fan was hit as he sat three rows from the front at the club's Riverside Stadium during last Sunday's 2-2 Premiership draw.

Fred, a grandad of six from Hartlepool, was at the game with his 40-year-old son Kevin, who joked as soon as they sat down: "We're in the line of fire here, dad!" Said Fred: "I didn't think he'd proved right so quickly.

It was only the fifth minute. As soon as it left Ronaldo's foot I could see where it was going - at me!

"It was a great save - I don't think our keeper Mark Schwarzer could have matched it," he joked.

Fred said that he didn't even think about the pain because it was such a good match. And despite his wife Edith's concern, he didn't have his injury checked until Tuesday.

Doctors at the University Hospital of Hartlepool then confirmed his wrist was broken. Fred said: "They all found it quite amusing and I guess it isn't something that happens every day.

"I hold no grudges against Ronaldo. He is an amazing player, probably the best in the last decade. If I was going to get hit by anyone's shot I am glad it was Ronaldo's and not a player I don't like."

A Boro spokesman said: "We've no idea how fast the ball was travelling but everyone appreciates how well Ronaldo can strike a ball."

Boro have sent Fred a signed shirt to help cheer him up while he waits to have his cast off in four weeks.

Meanwhile, if 23-year-old Ronaldo's new contract is signed it will net him £40million over five years - making him the highest paid footballer in Britain.

Nenhum comentário: